Main Street Hotel & Casino - refreshing change from the strip
After staying at Bill's Gambling Hall for years (right between Bellagio and Paris) on the strip, I was forced to find an alternative, when I saw that Bill's had closed. Looks to be standard practice of demolishing the old and replacing with new and shiny.
Main Street - i love this hotel! This is the first time I've stayed downtown in Vegas, and I really like - maybe love this place. Really nice (although not exactly the Wynn or Trump) but what's wonderful is the pace and the other patrons. For the most part, they are older Hawaiians.
I knew that the number one vacation spot for Hawaiians was Las Vegas. What I didn't know is that they seem to all stay at these two adjoining sister properties downtown, Main Street Hotel & the California.
The interesting thing is these two properties really cater to the Hawaiians. They have Hawaiian travel personnel on staff. And across the cross walk to the California they have a couple of amazing and inexpensive hawaiian/asian restaurants, and a couple more that do an amazing job with fresh fish.
What I like about this hotel.
1) the pace
2) didn't see a single prostitute
3) cool old hawaiians everywhere you look
4) 4 blocks from the World Market Center
5) 2 blocks from the "Freemont Experience"
6) Every employee I met had worked there for a decade+.
7) $32 Yup, this cool, clean very nice, hotel in great location was only $32 a night. I'm pretty sure this will be my home away from home for the two market's each year for year's to come. Really love this place.
There are interesting details throughout the property. Even the Urinals are cool - paneled with pieces from the Berlin Wall.